GOP Presidential debates 2012

Off topic discussion
RazorMasticator

Re: GOP Presidential debates 2012

Postby RazorMasticator » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:44 am

i didnt... you just cant read
How dare you come on this show with a pegan/marxist agenda! this is gods popquiz! -simon amstell

LynchyBlueNose
Paranoid Android - Knight

Postby LynchyBlueNose » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:52 am

Is there a "Whatever" smilie ?

RazorMasticator

Postby RazorMasticator » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:09 pm

anyway back to the talk.

naggly... i like your idea, i really do, but i think alot of people are reluctant to do anything for a number of understandable reasons:
1. alot of people have a ALOT to loose and lets be real, noone is willing to give up a decent life, even for others
2. fear of The authorities. they have guns, means to humiliate you and destroy your career and life in general, and noone gets it more right than THEM, their directives and their courts, clearly
3. if by some miracle we do something then we will have to realise that this system for good or worse is buildt up around us and taking it down would effectively destroy our lives as well (this is why IMO i dont see it happening, we would have to start from scratch)

taking it from the other side, how annoying is it to have a plan of uniting all peoples of all places and races under one banner but being unable to achieve it due to hate, racism, religios differences, poverty and nationalism... i guess when your at the top its just easier to tighten the grip through the destruction of minority cultures and national currencies and ofc political correctness = preventing free speech at every turn whilst promoting kindergarden dictatorship for the political class.

i dont know man... i dont like this
How dare you come on this show with a pegan/marxist agenda! this is gods popquiz! -simon amstell

Naggly Nagger

Postby Naggly Nagger » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:20 pm

RazorMasticator wrote:anyway back to the talk.

naggly... i like your idea, i really do, but i think alot of people are reluctant to do anything for a number of understandable reasons:
1. alot of people have a ALOT to loose and lets be real, noone is willing to give up a decent life, even for others
2. fear of The authorities. they have guns, means to humiliate you and destroy your career and life in general, and noone gets it more right than THEM, their directives and their courts, clearly
3. if by some miracle we do something then we will have to realise that this system for good or worse is buildt up around us and taking it down would effectively destroy our lives as well (this is why IMO i dont see it happening, we would have to start from scratch)

taking it from the other side, how annoying is it to have a plan of uniting all peoples of all places and races under one banner but being unable to achieve it due to hate, racism, religios differences, poverty and nationalism... i guess when your at the top its just easier to tighten the grip through the destruction of minority cultures and national currencies and ofc political correctness = preventing free speech at every turn whilst promoting kindergarden dictatorship for the political class.

i dont know man... i dont like this

1: if by alot of people, you mean the top 10% wealthiest people in the world?..i feel this is debatable though. it's mainly lack of knowledge that with the technology and resources we have right now, EVERYONES lifestyle could be improved. even those sitting on golden toilet seats.

2: i think we will know when the time is right, and to stand up and opose. basically the only thing to fear is what you point out in #3.

3: at some point in your life, if you havent already, you will make sacrifices. this is nothing new. i only see starting from scratch an option if there is some natural disaster / catastrophy(this is what we have to fear). otherwise, i think we could easily transition into a more peaceful, technologicaly advanced society. what choice do the pencil pushing, jet fuel burning legislators have but to oppose this idea?

and to address your last paragraph, the only one of those many concerns i think is religion. your 100% right, this is the biggest barrier of all of those. 4 out of 8 of my great grand parents immigrated to the US from italy. over half of my life revolved around roman catholic beliefs. i didnt completely abandon those beliefs. but now i do realize the difference now in beliefs passed down for thousands of years..and FACTS that can be proven and verified by others(science).

kol taggar

Postby kol taggar » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:42 am

I'm just getting caught up in this thread, but I been votin fo' Ron Paul in GOP primaries since before it was cool.

LynchyBlueNose
Paranoid Android - Knight

Postby LynchyBlueNose » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:02 pm

As a general question to compare actual US views to TV ! How are the upcoming presidential elections being viewed in America. I mean from the outside and a perhaps more left wing European view Obama seems such a good leader who would get rid of him ... BUT I obviously know that is most certainly not what your average Republican would feel !
What Im asking really is are the elections seen as a foregone conclusion for either side or as wide open and there for the taking ?

kol taggar

Postby kol taggar » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:27 pm

doublepost
Last edited by kol taggar on Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kol taggar

Postby kol taggar » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:28 pm

Lynchybluenose wrote:As a general question to compare actual US views to TV ! How are the upcoming presidential elections being viewed in America. I mean from the outside and a perhaps more left wing European view Obama seems such a good leader who would get rid of him ... BUT I obviously know that is most certainly not what your average Republican would feel !
What Im asking really is are the elections seen as a foregone conclusion for either side or as wide open and there for the taking ?

It's all about the Republican primary race at this point, but that race is still anybody's game. We're far enough out that the Republican nomination race is still too volatile to even come close to calling. From the campaign management standpoint, one of the most successful strategies is to simply sit back and quietly wait for the front runner to implode. Rick Perry came out of no where this week, and so you currently see the Mitt Romney campaign employing this 'sit back and watch' strategy. Its hard to say whether the Perry campaign will implode or not, but if he's still around in two weeks you can be fairly confident he's here to stay. Romney obviously isn't going anywhere, and it looks like even if Bachman continues to be as assanine as she has been, her campaign is here to stay too.

As someone who's a pretty avid political observer, I would say that it really does seem like the general elections remains anyone's game//slightly in Republican favor. The Obama team does seem to be a bit shaky right now. Part of that is probably because over the past two years most of the 'election team' staff has been subbed out for 'governing team' staff. It does seem possible that the Obama operatives throw it into high gear and manage to energize and run an effective campaign. Obama faces a fairly steep up hill battle if he's going to turn things around, though. Most of the presidential approval polls put him at ~40% approve (this is a fairly difficult number to overcome). That is not to say that he can't turn things around, but it seems like a pretty daunting task to re brand him and convince people that some of the more egregious legislation he's signed off on was not as bad as they think it was. Couple that with the disappointment in the Democrat base about not pushing as hard on certain issues (like single payer health care), and you have a recipe for a one term presidency.

RazorMasticator

Postby RazorMasticator » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:45 pm

i like these quiet little moments before the storm...

Naggly Nagger

Postby Naggly Nagger » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:40 pm

RazorMasticator wrote:i like these quiet little moments before the storm...

i prefer the quiet moments after the storm. lol

Naggly Nagger

Postby Naggly Nagger » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:16 pm

kol taggar wrote:It's all about the Republican primary race at this point, but that race is still anybody's game. We're far enough out that the Republican nomination race is still too volatile to even come close to calling. From the campaign management standpoint, one of the most successful strategies is to simply sit back and quietly wait for the front runner to implode. Rick Perry came out of no where this week, and so you currently see the Mitt Romney campaign employing this 'sit back and watch' strategy. Its hard to say whether the Perry campaign will implode or not, but if he's still around in two weeks you can be fairly confident he's here to stay. Romney obviously isn't going anywhere, and it looks like even if Bachman continues to be as assanine as she has been, her campaign is here to stay too.

As someone who's a pretty avid political observer, I would say that it really does seem like the general elections remains anyone's game//slightly in Republican favor. The Obama team does seem to be a bit shaky right now. Part of that is probably because over the past two years most of the 'election team' staff has been subbed out for 'governing team' staff. It does seem possible that the Obama operatives throw it into high gear and manage to energize and run an effective campaign. Obama faces a fairly steep up hill battle if he's going to turn things around, though. Most of the presidential approval polls put him at ~40% approve (this is a fairly difficult number to overcome). That is not to say that he can't turn things around, but it seems like a pretty daunting task to re brand him and convince people that some of the more egregious legislation he's signed off on was not as bad as they think it was. Couple that with the disappointment in the Democrat base about not pushing as hard on certain issues (like single payer health care), and you have a recipe for a one term presidency.

wow, if by "still in this" you mean being funded majorly by corporations..then yes, obama, perry, and romney are still in this. i guess i would legitimately say obama is still in because hes the "front runner" in the democratic race. have to disagree with perry still being in it, even though its only been a week? along with perry i'd have to say he falls under the same "assanine" category as you described, as bachman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9bvreW0 ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-xFexgH ... ure=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wRRoyaOn50

Naggly Nagger

Postby Naggly Nagger » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:29 pm

is this the next autotune phenonenon canidate?
more impressive than the ted stevens series of tubes videos?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ354Dks ... re=related

kol taggar

Postby kol taggar » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:52 am

Naggly Nagger wrote:wow, if by "still in this" you mean being funded majorly by corporations..then yes, obama, perry, and romney are still in this. i guess i would legitimately say obama is still in because hes the "front runner" in the democratic race. have to disagree with perry still being in it, even though its only been a week? along with perry i'd have to say he falls under the same "assanine" category as you described, as bachman.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/latest_polls/

This is how I judge "still in this" (although I never actually use that phrase, dunno where you got it).

Like I said, I've been a Ron Paul supporter since the late 1990's, and an open (l)ibertarian -- small L -- since probably my first year of undergrad.

Naggly Nagger

Postby Naggly Nagger » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:50 am

ah, when i said "still in this" i meant "anybody's game". pretty much the same thing? none the less i'm not disagreeing :P it's very much anyones game

Alexandre Brackmere

Postby Alexandre Brackmere » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:26 am

kol taggar wrote:As someone who's a pretty avid political observer, I would say that it really does seem like the general elections remains anyone's game//slightly in Republican favor. The Obama team does seem to be a bit shaky right now.

Obama needs to make use of the bully pulpit that is the Presidency. Why he hasn't forcefully called out the GOP yet baffles me.

For my own part, I have never supported or voted for a democratic presidential candidate. I have since dropped my membership in the GOP. In the last election I eagerly supported every democrat running for statewide office. Two days ago I volunteered to assist the Obama campaign however I am able. Over the last three years the GOP's swing to the fringes of the right wing have driven me from the party, and the fact that two of the leading candidates for the GOP's nomination have beliefs in line with Christian reconstructionist / dominionist philosophy is beyond frightening.

While I don't like everything he has done, and I wish he would be much more assertive, I have gained enormous respect for the President and trust his judgement far more than the collection of imbeciles on the GOP side.

Return to “Qyan's Zen”