Inherently racist bake sale - UC Berkeley

Off topic discussion
Naggly Nagger

Inherently racist bake sale - UC Berkeley

Postby Naggly Nagger » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:17 pm

More cookies were left than cupcakes. Absurd!

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-09-27/us/u ... s?_s=PM:US

yakamishi
Ohmmmm - Knight

Re: Inherently racist bake sale - UC Berkeley

Postby yakamishi » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:34 pm

Kinda makes a point, eh?
Yakamishi

What happens in the Zen, stays in the Zen

Naggly Nagger

Postby Naggly Nagger » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:23 am

i think people purchased cupcakes to emphasize the absurdity of sb 185...i mean cupcakes over cookies...everyone knows cookies > cupcakes

Phallus Gigundus

Postby Phallus Gigundus » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:14 pm

Affirmative Action is about as anti-equality as any law or policy could be. It's right up there with "hate-crime" laws.

How can you protect against judging someone solely by race, when the law requires you to first determine the race of an applicant, and then give them preferential treatment based on minority status?
To master the dick joke, you must be the dick joke. - me

If life gives you lemons, punch life in the dick. - also me

Melich

Postby Melich » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:28 pm

... 2.25 $ Is to high for women !

( I am kidding I am not even sure I understood all of this sheet xD)

Naggly Nagger

Postby Naggly Nagger » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:39 pm

i bought all the cupcakes after i claimed i was a black / native american woman..then i resold them all to the white males. with the profit i bought all the cookies i could carry (some were left), and i gave them a quick economics lesson on the way out.

Gruul

Postby Gruul » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:34 pm

I just realized that I've never been asked what "race" I am in real life (some internet polls etc ask that - not sure why). I even had to go find my driver's license to check if it mentioned a race - nope. None of the government services ask your race (I should know, I've been filling a lot of forms lately), just your country of origin and what language you speak.

Even universities dont care about your race - it's all about your language here, specifically Swedish. Swedish speaking Finns have their own quotas, which gives them a significantly better chance of getting into a university. I suppose it's not quite as discriminating as a system based on race though since in theory you can always learn the language if you want the benefits.
ImageImageImageImageImage

RazorMasticator

Postby RazorMasticator » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:17 pm

you speak of it as if its a crime...
How dare you come on this show with a pegan/marxist agenda! this is gods popquiz! -simon amstell

helgrrr
Whip Cracker

Postby helgrrr » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:27 pm

Well technically it is, Racism is a crime, as soon as you start identifying people by race then you are guilty of it.
Wookie Killah Image

yakamishi
Ohmmmm - Knight

Postby yakamishi » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:57 pm

It's truly disturbing when Government gets involved with social engineering, eh?
Yakamishi

What happens in the Zen, stays in the Zen

Gruul

Postby Gruul » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:40 am

helgrrr wrote:Well technically it is, Racism is a crime, as soon as you start identifying people by race then you are guilty of it.

Are we talking about a legal or a moral crime here? As always, can't speak for other countries but racism itself isn't against the law - How could it be? It's an ideology, after all. You are free to think whatever you want. The reasons why you do a crime are largely irrelevant; if you beat up a person with a baseball bat it doesn't really matter if you did it because of his skin color or if you just thought he was an asshole, the law is the same for everyone.

Hell, it barely matters if said person was threatening you with a knife - you still beat him up with a baseball bat! The law is the law is the law, there's no wiggle room in it.

helgrrr
Whip Cracker

Postby helgrrr » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:50 am

We have a slightly fuzzy section of laws (as usual) within the Crime and Disorder Act 1998. There is a section within it it labelled Racially Aggravated Offences.

This is used basically for everything form setting fire to minorities while wearing a white hood t muttering a veiled comment while passing someone in the street who has a different skin tone to yourself.

I assume many other countries have similar laws and that's what I was referring to.

But your right Gruul it is an idealogy, I just fired that off quickly because the whole categorising people annoys me. If you want true equality you don't need to know where someone comes from and it would be much better when filling in application forms if when asked what race you were you simply replied human.
Wookie Killah Image

LynchyBlueNose
Paranoid Android - Knight

Postby LynchyBlueNose » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:05 pm

Who you calling a human you species-ist !

helgrrr
Whip Cracker

Postby helgrrr » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:16 pm

Lynchybluenose wrote:Who you calling a human you species-ist !

Don't worry it's not a term I would ever use to refer to you :lol:
Wookie Killah Image

Gruul

Postby Gruul » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:00 am

helgrrr wrote:We have a slightly fuzzy section of laws (as usual) within the Crime and Disorder Act 1998. There is a section within it it labelled Racially Aggravated Offences.

This is used basically for everything form setting fire to minorities while wearing a white hood t muttering a veiled comment while passing someone in the street who has a different skin tone to yourself.

I assume many other countries have similar laws and that's what I was referring to.

But your right Gruul it is an idealogy, I just fired that off quickly because the whole categorising people annoys me. If you want true equality you don't need to know where someone comes from and it would be much better when filling in application forms if when asked what race you were you simply replied human.

I dont really get what is the point of those laws. They just seem... unnecessary.

This is the Finnish version:

* Everyone are equal in the eyes of the law. (Finnish constitution, 6. paragraph, aka "civil rights")

* Freedom of speech guarantees everyone the right to express their opinion without censorship. (Constitution, 12. paragraph, "civil rights")

* If you spead lies or otherwise imply things that cause harm, suffering or contempt towards someone you will be fined or imprisoned for up to 6 months - or up to 2 years if you do it in media (Criminal law, 6 paragraph, "slander")

So the trick is that YOU have to prove that what I've said has caused you actual harm - hurt feelings obviously dont count. Loss of sleep might be enough I suppose, assuming you can get a doctor to verify that. But then again, it's more likely that if you convince a doctor that you can't sleep because someone insulted you then I think it's YOU who'll suffer from it - therapy is expensive and there's clearly something wrong with your self-esteem.

Once again, not a single mention of race. Publicly yelling in a megaphone "Kill all niggers!" and "Kill all secretaries!" are both the same crime... well, crimes - after you add disturbing the peace etc...

Actually, that's a good thought exercise - replace the offensive word in any racist sentence and think if saying it still should be illegal. Here's an example:

"I think secretaries are a burden to society and we should get rid of them."

Against good manners, sure, but illegal? Really?

Return to “Qyan's Zen”