Living in another country

Off topic discussion
raven

Living in another country

Postby raven » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:35 pm

Hi all

I don't really post much on these forums but I'd appreciate the opinion of the international community that is TFK.

I've recently come back from a trip to Stuttgart-Germany and my partners grandmother passed away whilst we were there. Obviously this is very sad but it's presented a possible opportunity. She left behind a 2 bed flat that she completely owned and now is empty and I'm toying with the idea of leaving England and moving over there.

I know some of you don't live in you country of birth or live in England or Germany and wondered what you guys think or what experiences you have had if you've done something similar.

Currently, I can only speak a little German and have no job plans etc there yet.

I have a reasonable job here in England and have my own house, which I'm thinking of renting to cover the mortgage should I leave.

What do you think?

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing,
Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortals ever dared to dream before.
Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore"

helgrrr
Whip Cracker

Re: Living in another country

Postby helgrrr » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:40 pm

Definitely rent your house rather than selling it, that way if you decide you hate it and want to come back you have lost nothing other than some removal expenses.
Wookie Killah Image

SlyXaojin
Rock me Amadeus - Master Knight

Postby SlyXaojin » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:39 pm

First of all living in another country expands your personal horizon a lot. I would highly encourage it. However it often makes you realize how much good things your own country has, that you are going to miss all at sudden. It might be that you want to go back after while :)

What Helgrr said is the most important point i would say. If it is possible, just rent it for 1-2 years to see if you really dont want to come back.

But i wrote a few points also. See them more as points to be aware of rather than to be scared of. IMO being aware protects from bad surprises... And bad surprises is what can demotivate you and prevent you from enjoying the experience of another country :)

1.) Language

It depends on your qualification (for example, for researchers it is easier normally), but as a german speaker (I am austrian tough) I can tell you, that speaking german well is 90% a must to get a job. Normal german speakers speak english, however not well (and i am not just talking about the funny accent where 'th=s'). Being a native english speaker however might raise your chances to get a job also with 'basic' german if the company has international relations.

2.) Check jobs that fit your profession

Before you decide to go there be sure to check some job profiles that fit your profession. There you should see more easily what level of German you need and if it would be good to first make the one or the other german course before you move.

3.) Cultural differences

Don't expect that people are similar even tough it is europe.
This depends strongly also on the people and what i heard strongly on the region of germany. But even I as a native german speaker can say, that it would be a culture shock for me also to move to germany. Don't expect people to be friendly just to be friendly. Poeple tend to be very direct and precise there. If that is fine to you, you will get along well wtih them. This is a rather subjective view, but not only from me. More also from my wife (Mexican) who lived for serveral years in Germany. However she lived in Frankfurt and what also some germans told me is, that this Bank town is especially unfriendly. But maybe we have someone from Frankfurt here who can say my wife had just bad luck :D

4.) Weather

I wanted to say the weather is not the best compared to other countries but for someone coming from the big island it will even be an improvement :D

Funky Gibbon
Chief Chuffer

Postby Funky Gibbon » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:00 pm

Germany is one of the few countries I've been to that I would consider living in and I would love a good excuse to move there myself (your wife got any attractive sisters? :P). You have a big advantage with having family there, and I don't just mean your wife, as you'll have lots of support and people you already know. Just make sure you have a firm job offer before you go.

You must know a bit about their culture already but if there's one thing I've found in all the places I've worked and that is under the veneer of culture people are usually the same. This may be a downside to you as you'll have people ripping the piss out of you in no time, but this may feel like home so you'll be fine.

As it's you though I would ask that if you move anywhere then try to find somewhere that won't allow Mumble access so we get rid of that Zouth Western accent!! :P

Chuntao

Postby Chuntao » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:48 pm

Hey Raven, wie geht es dir? Gefällt dir Deutschland? :)

Lets look how good your german is :P

raven

Postby raven » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:03 pm

Chuntao wrote:Hey Raven, wie geht es dir? Gefällt dir Deutschland? :)

Lets look how good your german is :P

Ich bin gut, danke der Nachfrage. Ich liebe Deutschland, ich liebe das Bier, Essen und vieles mehr. Ich kann spreche nur ein bisschen Deutsch und noch weniger gelesen, aber Google übersetzen ist einfach :) Nur schade, dass ich nicht haben kann es mit mir die ganze Zeit.

raven

Postby raven » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:07 pm

Lots to consider here. I understand what you are saying about the german people and attitudes but I quite like that to be honest, most are friendly just not overly friendly. I have mainly been to Stuttgart though.

I could take german classes and alot of her family in england speak german so that shouldn't be too difficult. Getting a job however isn't so easy.

And you'll never get rid of my accent me babber!

Ninu zahra

Postby Ninu zahra » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:47 pm

The world is a town and Europe is a village. I wouldn't hesitate to give it a try.

Be prepared to lose your good sterling to the shitty euro though.

Angrosh

Postby Angrosh » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:26 am

Stuttgart ftw!!! :D

As you already know I also live next to Stuttgart so we will be neighbours then (just think about it if you really want this :P ).

I think this is a great chance for you and your wife to learn a lot for your life like sly already wrote. In the area of Stuttgart you have a high living standard because of all the big companies like Porsche, Mercedes, Bosch, etc.! And because of that you have a big job offer which depends on what your job is of course. What is it?
You also have different landscapes next to it like the black forest, swabian Alb, etc.!
With the opinion of still having a house in England I would definitely take the chance and make some experience in another country. If you don't like it or if you are sick of the Germans once :wink: you can go back to England but with a much wider horizon than today that's for sure.
The language is difficult I know that but you can learn it. The big advantage for you is that you speak English and a lot of the people here speak English fluently. But if you decide to come over here it would be also a great experience for you to learn this language.

If you have more question about Stuttgart, the area, the language or something else just let me know. And when you are finally here we have to go to the "Cannstatter Volksfest" and drink some good german beer together :D :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannstatter_Volksfest

helgrrr
Whip Cracker

Postby helgrrr » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:08 pm

That reminds me Stuttgart is full of pesky dorfs :mrgreen:
Wookie Killah Image

psycho

Postby psycho » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:41 pm

Stuttgart is a fairly nice area to live in. I´ve got a few native english speaking people in my family that successfully integragted .. it is a damn hard thing to do though. I´ve lived in a few places in my life and there is no place I´d rather live, than germany. Climate, food, social system, beer. You have to know though, depending on where you are at, Germans tend to stick to themselves. I´ve lived in a house for 5 years and never met half of my neighbors.

The best thing you can do, and the thing you should really try first, is look for an english company with a foreign settlement. Until last year the Kerry Group, an Irish company, for instance had all their management and IT covered with native english. That´s what I would try first.

Another thing you guys could consider, if you own the property, is selling it. Real estates aren´t top price with the current Euro shit that´s happening, but appartements, especially in industry heavy towns like Stuttgart can be quite expensive. Looking at Frankfurt (where I live), you´d be paying about 150 - 250k € for a 3 room appartement, depending on what condition it´s in.

It´s not easy going to a different country, but, at least here you can be sure that 90% of the people speak your language, especially in all official areas.

Personaly, I´d only move to another country if there was a reason (woman, better living conditions, job, health) for me to go there. It´s a huge step.

Return to “Qyan's Zen”